A delicious dessert, Pomegranate Upside-Down Cake is a fun and festive way to use this seasonal fruit!
Welcome to the 5th annual 12 Days of Holiday Ideas event, hosted by Shirley of Intelligent Domestications and Erlene of My Pinterventures Between Nov. 11th and December 6th there will be hundreds of new ideas shared by over 55 Co-host bloggers!
Find our kick-off collection of Holiday ideas as well as all of this years talented participating DIY and Foodie Blogs. Download this years November and December calendars with all of the topics and dates so you can make plans to watch for ideas!
We are hosting a BIG GIVEAWAY from our Sponsors this year! Be sure to scroll all the way down for more information and to enter to win!
We were gifted a few pomegranates, so I immediately set out to figure out some pomegranate sweet recipes. I love baking, and I wanted to see how pomegranates would hold up in baking. I was pleasantly surprised.
After baking, the pomegranates were still juicy, and still gave that little pop of goodness you get with the fresh fruit. This pomegranate upside-down cake was a bit seedy, since pomegranates are a bit seedy. But if you love this fruit, I’m sure you’ll be used to that.
What is the easiest way to open a pomegranate?
For years I avoided pomegranates, because my only experience peeling and deseeding one was a huge mess. It turns out there’s a right way to open a pomegranate, and once you know how to do it, you’ll be amazed that it’s not messy at all!
What is the benefit of pomegranate?
Pomegranates are very high in antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, folate, and potassium. It is also anti-inflammatory, so it’s great to eat if you’re trying to reduce inflammation.
For the Fruit Layer:
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/4 C. Brown Sugar
- 2 C. Pomegranate
For the Cake:
- 1 1/3 C. Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Butter softened
- 2/3 C. Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2/3 C. Sour Cream
1. Turn oven on to 350º. While oven is heating, place 2 Tbsp. of butter in a 9 inch round cake pan, and put in oven for a couple of minutes to melt the butter.
2. Using a hot pad, tilt pan carefully to coat the bottom and sides of the pan with butter. Set pan aside until cake batter is made.
3. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a Kitchenaid or stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes, scraping occasionally. Add egg and vanilla and beat another minute.
5. Add dry ingredients and turn mixer on low. Then add in sour cream and mix until just combined.
6. Sprinkle the cake pan with the reserved 1/4 cup brown sugar. Spread pomegranate seeds over the brown sugar.
7. Spoon the batter over the fruit, and spread out until it covers it evenly. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Cool for a few minutes. Then place a large plate or platter upside-down over the cake pan, and using potholders, flip the entire thing over, so the cake comes out of the pan onto the plate upside-down.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 72mg Sodium: 309mg Carbohydrates: 45g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 26g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
MEET OUR SPONSORS who have generously donated fabulous prizes for the Big Christmas Giveaway!
DecoArt winner will receive a prize package valued at $100!
Dixie Crystals/Imperial Sugar winner will receive a Keurig Coffee Maker valued at $100!
Oriental Trading winner will receive an OrientalTrading.com gift card valued at $200!
Cabot Cheese winner will receive a gift basket of Cabot products valued at $75!
Burlap Fabric winner will receive a prize pack of products valued at $50!
Zulay Kitchens winner will receive one Milk Frother and a Lemon Squeezer valued at $21
It’s Home To You winner will receive one wooden Santa sign valued at $65
Giveaway begins Nov. 8, 2019 and ends Dec. 6, 2019. Winners will be notified by December 13, 2019. Sponsors will ship each prize to the winner. There will be a total of six winners, one for each prize. Drawing is by random selection using the Rafflecopter widget.
Must be 18 to win. Open to U.S. residents only. Terms & Conditions
Linking up to Weekend Potluck.
Click here to pin this post!