Cranberry Orange Upside-down Cake is a fun variation on the traditional pineapple dessert.
Every variation of this upside down cake has been phenomenal. Lick the pan good. No joke! This cranberry orange upside-down cake is no exception. It is just the right amount of tangy and sweet to make you want more. And the cake just melts in your mouth.
The ladies from my church come over several times each month. Sometimes I try out new recipes on them to get their feedback. I made apricot upside-down cake for them a while back, and one of the women has been asking me to make it again.
I didn’t have any apricots left over from this summer (I’ll definitely have to freeze some next summer), so I started thinking of other variations I could try for this recipe. I remembered I had cranberries in the freezer, so I decided to use those.
As I started putting this together, I thought that adding some orange zest would give it a good flavor. Then I had this sad orange that had been zested that I didn’t know what to do with. So I decided to add the whole thing to the recipe. That’s how things end up getting crazy in my kitchen!
It ended up really yummy, and everyone enjoyed it. If you have any other phenomenal ideas for more variations of this recipe, I would love to try them. It truly is one of my favorite dessert recipes I’ve ever had!
Recipe for Cranberry Orange Upside-down Cake:
For the Fruit Layer:
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/4 C. Brown Sugar
- 1 Orange, zested and sliced
- 3/4 C. Cranberries, fresh or frozen
For the Cake:
- 1 1/3 C. Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Butter, softened
- 2/3 C. Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2/3 C. Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a round cake pan, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in the oven. Using a hot pad, tilt pan to coat bottom and sides with butter. Set aside until after cake batter is made.
- Zest and slice orange. Sprinkle half of the zest in the cake pan. Set aside the other half for the batter. Remove peel from the orange slices.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- In a Kitchenaid or stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes, scraping occasionally. Add egg and vanilla and beat another minute.
- Add dry ingredients and turn mixer on low. Then add in sour cream and remaining orange zest, and mix until just combined.
- Sprinkle the cake pan with the reserved 1/4 cup brown sugar. Place sliced oranges over the brown sugar. Sprinkle cranberries into the pan, trying to get them mostly between the orange slices.
- Spoon the batter over the fruit, and spread out until it covers them evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes. Then place a large plate or platter upside-down over the cake pan, and using potholders, flip the entire thing over, so the cake comes out of the pan onto the plate upside-down.
Serving Size:8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 72mg Sodium: 308mg Carbohydrates: 38g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 21g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g