Fresh Strawberry Bars are a sweet and delicious way to enjoy this spring berry.
Springtime is here, and with it comes my favorite season for produce. I just love the fresh strawberries and asparagus. But I’m especially crazy about strawberries. If you are a big strawberry fan like me, you’ll also love my recipe for Strawberry Syrup.
My poor family (insert sarcasm here) had to endure 3 rounds of these fresh strawberry bars, as I tried to find the perfect recipe. It was a huge sacrifice, I’m sure! It didn’t stop them from devouring the bars, though!
I tried several recipes, but finally decided that the best one was from this delicious recipe from Well Plated. The other ones I tried were too thick of a crust, or too sweet. This recipe is perfect.
If you’re trying to limit your sugar, you can easily skip the glaze, and the fresh strawberry bars will still be amazing. Baking the strawberries really brings out their natural sweetness, making them plenty sweet enough.
I doubled the recipe, since I felt like an 8×8 pan of bars just wasn’t much for my family of 5. This 13×9 pan allowed us to share with some friends, which is always nice to be able to do.
I also cut out the ginger, since it isn’t my kids’ favorite spice. I think it would probably be good, but it wasn’t missed.
For the Crust:
- 2 cups oats
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cups butter, melted
For the Strawberry Layer:
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 375º, and line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over two edges.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter until well combined. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture. Press remaining mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for the strawberry layer. Spread over the oat mixture in the pan.
- Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- After baking, cool the pan of fresh strawberry bars for 5 minutes. Then carefully remove from pan by grabbing the edges of the parchment paper and lifting the whole thing out.
- Allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for the glaze, and drizzle glaze over the bars, then cut and serve.
What’s your favorite recipe using fresh strawberries? Tell me in the comment section below!