This Skillet Mediterranean Chicken is easy, doesn’t use up a bunch of pots and pans, but delivers big taste!
In my quest for finding new recipes to add to our meal planning, I happened upon this recipe for Mediterranean Chicken. Knowing how much Dan loves feta cheese, I figured this was a recipe worth trying. I made a few minor changes, but nothing drastic.
I love that this recipe is super simple! My chicken breasts were really thick, so in order to cut down on cooking time, I chopped the chicken breasts into small pieces (I left the thighs whole). You can cook the breasts whole, if you’d prefer. I also used a mix of half chicken breasts and half chicken thighs. Again, if you don’t like one or the other, feel free to do all of one.
I found the roasted red peppers next to the olives in my local grocery store. I would recommend using a fork to remove some of the red peppers to measure, and then pour off some of the oil that the peppers are sitting in as part of your cooking oil, just to give some extra flavor!
Don’t forget the pita bread or rice to go with this skillet Mediterranean Chicken. Ever since we went to the local Greek Festival, my kids are totally into pita bread, so that was our side. Pita bread works great for mopping up the sauce, so you can savor every last drop of that goodness. Seriously– it’s that good!
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 lbs. chicken, (breasts or thighs), chopped
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 cup roasted red peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 C. oil, (see note)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken to the skillet, and sprinkle half of the oregano and basil on the chicken.
- Cook chicken until cooked through and browned slightly. Work on sauce (next step) while chicken is cooking.
- In a blender, combine remaining basil and oregano, garlic cloves, roasted red peppers, salt and pepper, and oil. Blend until mixture is smooth.
- Once chicken is finished cooking, remove to a plate and cover with an inverted plate to keep warm.
- Pour sauce mixture into the skillet, and heat until warmed through. Add heavy cream and heat through again.
- Return chicken to skillet and stir to cover chicken with sauce.
- Sprinkle with feta and serve.
Use a fork to get the red peppers out for measuring. Then feel free to use some of the oil that the red peppers are packed in to replace some of the oil in the sauce-- it will add more flavor!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 612 Total Fat: 49g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 28g Cholesterol: 196mg Sodium: 399mg Carbohydrates: 4g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 39g
Looking for more easy dinners? You’ll love this Indian Butter Chicken!