This Three Cheese Homemade Mac and Cheese is comfort food at its finest!
My kids are big noodle fans. Anytime I ask what we should have for dinner, Little Sister says “New-nose!” which obviously translates into English as noodles. And Little Man would eat noodles daily, especially if he can have a side of broccoli or salad with it (he loves his veggies).
I would much rather make them three cheese homemade mac and cheese than the boxed stuff, since it contains preservatives and sometimes yucky ingredients. And besides the yucky stuff in boxed mac and cheese, it just doesn’t taste as good as a yummy homemade version.
I went with three cheese in this homemade mac and cheese to make it more flavorful. If you don’t like one of the cheeses, feel free to substitute it for another.
I skip the traditional bread crumb topping, since my kids don’t like it. Instead, I reserve a small amount of the cheese to sprinkle on top. I like to bake my homemade mac and cheese a little longer, because I love it when the bottom noodles get a little crunchy. However, I realize that most people probably don’t like it that way, so I put the time in for regular homemade mac and cheese. If you like it crunchy, add about 5 minutes of bake time.
We love to serve this homemade mac and cheese up with a side of veggies. I love grilled or roasted zucchini or broccoli with it.
- 2 cups Macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- While noodles are cooking, melt butter in a medium sized pot. Cook garlic in melted butter for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper, and cook while stirring over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk.
- Return to heat. Stir constantly while bringing to a boil. Boil and stir for one minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in all cheeses except 1/4 cup cheddar.
- Stir drained, cooked macaroni noodles into the sauce.
- Pour into a 9x9 casserole dish, and top with reserved cheese. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden and sauce is bubbling.