Let your Crock Pot do the work with this Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken!
Growing up, I think I was the only kid in our town who had ever heard of curry, let alone eaten it. We lived in a small town that just didn’t have much culture.
However, my parents had both lived all over the United States and Canada before they married, and lived in Vancouver up until shortly after I was born, so they enjoyed different foods that weren’t regularly served in rural Idaho. Things like grits, curry, and more.
Curry chicken was my favorite dish– the one I asked for every year for my birthday, when I got to choose our dinner for my special day. It still is a favorite of mine, so I’m always trying new curry dishes.
I knew I wanted to make a curry dish in the Crock Pot, since I only had frozen chicken, and I had a busy day ahead of me. My favorite slow cooker curry recipe requires a bit of hands on time that I didn’t have, so I decided to give this recipe a try.
I made several small modifications, like adding more salt and (affiliate link) garam masala, as well as adding in yogurt at the end to make it nice and creamy. I also used frozen chicken breasts instead of cubed chicken, so the texture of my chicken turned out differently. You can find the link to the original recipe under the recipe card.
The chicken was so flavorful and moist, and this is going to be a recipe I come back to time and again!
To use frozen chicken breasts, simply put them into the slow cooker on the bottom, then pour the sauce ingredients over the top. I find that cooking with frozen chicken in the slow cooker assures that my chicken never ends up dry.
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts or thighs, (or a combination)
- 1 onion, cut into several pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup bell pepper, (I used red)
- 8 oz. can tomato paste
- 400 ml. can coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- Place chicken in Crockpot.
- In a food processor, pulse onion, garlic, and bell pepper until small chunks.
- Add remaining ingredients except yogurt to the food processor, and blend for about one minute, until somewhat smooth.
- Pour sauce over chicken, and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Just before serving, use tongs and kitchen shears to rough cut the chicken, or use 2 forks to shred it.
- Stir in the yogurt, and let it heat until just warmed.
- Serve over rice, or with naan bread.
Serving Size:6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 162mg Sodium: 758mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 55g
This Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken recipe is adapted from Tasty Kitchen and contains coconut milk, bell pepper, curry powder, and garam masala.