Soft and fluffy scones packed full of fresh rhubarb. These Rhubarb Scones are the perfect spring treat!
If you’ve never had homemade scones before, they’re a delicious treat!
Making scones is very similar to making biscuits. Both are very easy to do, so they’re a great recipe to start with if you’ve never baked before.
Tips for making delicious rhubarb scones:
The key to making amazing scones is cutting the butter in well. Always use cold butter. Cut the butter in, until the mixture is fine crumbs. This allows the butter to be distributed evenly throughout the scones, helping the scones to rise more.
Don’t over mix the batter. When adding the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir together until just combined. Over mixing the batter will cause your scones to become tough.
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup rhubarb, sliced
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1-3 Tbsp. whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400º. Place parchment paper on cookie sheet or pizza pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumb sized.
- In a medium bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in rhubarb.
- Flour a counter or cutting board, and place dough onto the floured surface.
- Press out the dough until it's a 1/2" thick circle. Place onto prepared cookie sheet and cut into 8 even wedges.
- Bake for 16 minutes, or until golden.
- While scones are cooling, whisk together powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Add whipping cream 1 Tbsp. at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle glaze over the scones. Best eaten warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 76mg Sodium: 483mg Carbohydrates: 18g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
Looking for more delicious spring treats? You’ll love these recipes: