Sweet and delicious Mississippi Mud Pie Cookies are a fun treat!
I was recently sent a book called A Taste of America by Lauren J. Smith. A Taste of America is a fun book that has a cookie recipe for each state. Along with the recipe, there is a bit of info about the state, including the flag, nickname, and more.
This book has already been a lot of fun for my kids. We love baking as a great way to sneak in learning math, so this fits perfectly with that goal.
I let the kids look through the book and pick out a recipe. It was pretty tough for them to make a decision, since there are so many yummy cookies featured. We made Utah’s Jello Cookies, but today I wanted to share with you these Mississippi Mud Pie Cookies.
You’ll definitely want to head over to Lauren’s Etsy shop and check out A Taste of America, so you can try her other amazing recipes. There are appledoodle cookies, Boston cream pie cookies, sweet ricotta peach cookies, and so many more! You can also find her on Facebook and Instagram.
I was so glad that the kids picked these Mississippi Mud Pie Cookies to try first, since they were amazing! Sweet, with just the right combination of crunchy pecans and soft marshmallows.
For the Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
For the Chocolate Icing
- 6 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375º. Prepare cookie sheets by covering with parchment paper.
- Spread pecans out on cookie sheet. Toast for 3-5 minutes, being careful not to burn. Set aside to cool.
- Cream together butter and sugars in a stand mixer or a large bowl.
- Add eggs and beat until well combined. Stir in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients slowly, combining fully.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough and place onto cookie sheet a few inches apart. Bake 8 minutes.
- Press 6-8 marshmallows into each cookie. Put the cookies back into the oven for 1 more minute.
- Remove from oven and press 1 Tbsp. pecans into the marshmallows on each cookie, being careful not to burn your fingers.
- Remove to cooling rack and cool.
For the Chocolate Icing
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, milk, and cocoa.
- Stir over medium heat, until butter melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Spoon frosting onto cookies, and allow to finish cooling.
Serving Size:36 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 122mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 24g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
Looking for more delicious dessert recipes?