Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake with Brownie Crust is a delightful frozen birthday cake!
When Little Man was very small, we went to a birthday party where cake was served. After a bite or two, he asked me if he had to finish the cake. Of course I told him that he didn’t, and he happily dumped the rest in the trash.
He’s just never liked cake that much. I don’t care if he passes up on the cake at other people’s parties, but this poses a small problem when it comes to his birthday. However, we’ve found out that he loves ice cream cake, so that’s now what he asks for each year.
This year Little Man asked for a cookie dough ice cream cake with a brownie crust. I was game for trying to make that happen, since it sounded (and it was) delicious!
Depending on the size of your crowd, you can make this recipe in a large spring form pan, or in a 9 x 13 baking dish. The 9 x 13 will end up a bit thinner, but still enough to make people happy. The spring form will make a prettier ice cream cake (in my opinion). We have a giant family, so I made both!
Cookie dough ice cream cake is so simple. I’m including directions to make the brownie crust from scratch, but if you’re pressed for time you can use a boxed mix. A box of brownie mix is enough to make both a spring form pan and a 9 x 13 pan. If you use the box, but only want one cake, just pour half into your desired pan, and use the other half to make some brownies in an 8 x 8 pan.
It’s hard to believe Little Man turned 6 this year! I remember the first year I was blogging, when I made him a construction cake for his birthday, and it really doesn’t seem like it was 4 years ago!
I just love this kid. Little Man has earned his nickname– I’ve had people who don’t read this blog, and have no idea that I call him Little Man here remark how he is just a little man. He is a fixer and a tinkerer. He loves to work on projects, and he’s happiest when he’s either snuggling or doing a job. I’m so proud to be mom to this sweet boy who tells me and his sisters how pretty we are, and who knows the value of hard work.
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake with Brownie Crust recipe:
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, (I use semi sweet or dark)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1.75 qt. chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease either 9 x 13 pan or large spring form pan.
- In a large bowl, microwave chocolate chips and butter for about 2 minutes, until mixture is smooth, stopping to stir every 30 seconds.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except ice cream.
- Bake approximately 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly sticky.
- Cool completely.
- Thaw ice cream in the refrigerator until soft.
- Use a spatula to spread the ice cream over the brownie crust, smoothing the top.
- Freeze overnight.
- Remove from freezer about 5 minutes before you want to serve. If using a spring form pan, be sure to wait those 5 minutes, and carefully open the clasp. Don't force it, or you can break the rivets. Trust me, I have done this.
- Serve plain or with hot fudge, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 96mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g
Linking up at Weekend Potluck, Wise Women Link Up and Tasty Tuesday. See the rest of my link parties here.