Delicious and creamy broccoli cheddar soup made with no processed cheese. Just tasty, real ingredients.
The weather here in Idaho this winter has been all over the place. We’ve gotten dumped on with snow; this last week has been warm and rainy, causing flooding; and as I sit here typing, it is hailing.
What does this weather have to do with broccoli cheddar soup, you ask? Well this kind of weather just makes me want to eat soup every day. And because of that, I’ve been trying out making different soups, like my favorite Potato Soup recipe I shared recently.
I love a good broccoli cheddar soup, but I also have noticed that most broccoli cheddar soup recipes are made using Velveeta or other processed cheeses. I try to stay clear of Velveeta and American cheese, so I set out to make a broccoli cheddar soup from scratch, using real ingredients.
I started with the idea of the Cheeseburger Soup recipe that I’ve made on Coffee With Us 3, but took out the hamburger, celery, and potatoes, and added in broccoli. It worked out perfectly, and I will definitely be making this soup again and again! This broccoli cheddar soup turned out so delicious!
I was somewhat unsure of how my kids would respond to it. Well let me tell you how surprised I was when they asked for seconds, and then thirds! After the thirds, I told them that was probably enough, to which my daughter replied, “I hope there are leftovers so we can have it for lunch and dinner tomorrow!” And my son asked, “Can I have more for a snack before bedtime?”
And that, my friends, is when you know a recipe is a winner!
Recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
- 4 Tbsp. Butter, divided
- 3 Carrots, shredded
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 lb. Broccoli, chopped
- 2 cans Chicken broth, (14.5 oz each)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 C. Flour
- 2 1/2 C. Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 C. Milk
- 1/2 C. Half & Half
- 1/4 C. Sour Cream
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large pot. Saute carrots, onion and broccoli in the butter about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmering for 10 minutes.
- While vegetables simmer: In a medium pan, melt remaining 3 Tbsp. of butter. Add flour. Cook and stir 3-5 minutes, until bubbly.
- Add roux to vegetables, and bring back to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add remaining ingredients and stir until cheese is melted and soup is hot.
Serving Size:8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 713mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
The nutritional information provided here is not guaranteed to be accurate and is provided for informational (and google) purposes only.
This recipe contains broccoli, cheese, carrots, and more.
If you love quick and easy soup recipes, you’ll want to check out this potato soup!